Tuesday, July 4, 2017

PLL Troian Bellisario on Finale Fan Backlash

In the series finale of Pretty Little Liars episode 7x20 “‘Til Death Do Us Part”, A.D. was revealed to be Spencer’s British identical twin. Reactions to the finale episode were mixed. Actress Troian Bellisario gave some interviews and gave a response to fans who didn’t like the finale.

Actress Troian Bellisario responds to PLL fans reactions to series finale
Credit: Disney/ABC Television Group, Creative Commons

In an interview, Troian Bellisario was asked what she would say to people who didn’t like the series finale episode, particularly people who thought introducing a brand-new character was unfair and manipulative.

“Ultimately what I would say is that there’s no way in the world that we could’ve pleased everybody. It’s really unfortunate. Every other reveal in this show, you could like it or not like it, but you always knew that we had more episodes ahead. When it was Mona, you could be like, “Uh, I didn’t want it to be Mona,” but you knew there would be a continued story line afterward. With Charlotte and Charles, you could like it or not like it, but you knew the show was continuing. I think it was really tough for people to swallow because they knew this was the last episode ever, so if they didn’t get everything they wanted out of that story, they’re going to be upset. I totally understand that. But the thing I want to say to those people is: I think the show was supposed to end in year six with Charlotte revealed as “A.” When we decided to continue working on it and decided to create a new character, it’s a genesis story. It’s going to be a genesis story because somebody had to pick up the lead from Charlotte”.

“I don’t know what to say other than I’m sorry. I’m literally trying not to go on social media because I know that people are going to be brutal,” Troian told Vulture.

Troian Bellisario wants fans to be grateful for the seven years of watching the Liars and the happy endings the PLL couples got in the finale episode. She brought up the Ezria wedding, Haleb and Emison as examples of the Pretty Little Liars writers trying to make the fans happy. "The writers broke their backs to make sure that they gave so much to the fans," she said.

“I guess what I’m getting around to is: If people are dissatisfied with the creation of a new character, look at all of these other awesome things that you got. I’m not trying to be like, “Be grateful,” but there’s so much beauty in this show. To focus on that small little thing, is that really what you’re going to remember? Or are you going to remember seven years with these characters that you loved that you got to say good-bye to in a really beautiful way?” Troian said.

Troian Bellisario avoided looking at reactions to the finale on social media. “You can’t satisfy everybody. I’ve had to consciously remove myself from looking at people’s responses. As wonderful as it is when you get messages from people saying how much they like your performance, all you have to do is see that one person who’s like ‘This is stupid, I hate you’ and it’s gut-wrenching. Like, this is a story our creator came up with, and it’s my job to tell that story to the best of my abilities. So when someone says you were horrible, it’s hard not to take that in,” Troian told TV Line.

Regardless of fan reaction, Troian Bellisario is grateful she got the chance to play Alex Drake. “But Alex is also definitely a part of me. I’m so grateful that I got to play her in the last bit of the show,” Troian said.

What did you think of the Pretty Little Liars series finale episode 7x20 “‘Til Death Do Us Part”? Were you satisfied with the A.D. reveal?

No comments:

Post a Comment